NOTE: iOS 5 will be released on Wednesday, October 12th
It is that time of year again, there is a new major update for your iPhone.
iTunes also has the ability to update your device software. When you begin the process of updating your device, iTunes performs a standard backup*. To do so, you should:
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed and running before attempting to update. (if you have not updated iTunes in more than 1 day then there is an update available)
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
- Select the Summary tab.
- Click Check for Update (as seen in the screenshot below):
* Updating your device does not affect user content or settings.